Thursday

Well, I am back.  Nairobi was the most amazing thing I have ever done in my life.  I loved it. 

Got in Wednesday around 10:30.  Had a lot of trouble sleeping.  Woke up around 4 a.m. had a coffee, and managed to get back to sleep. 

Thursday morning:  Got up and had a lovely breakfast.  My driver, Peter, came and we went for the morning visit at the Trust.  I almost couldn't think, I was so tired and so emotional at seeing the babies finally.  They were absolutely wonderful.  Then I went back to the hotel to recharge my camera and have a bite.  Peter came and got me and I went back for the evening visit.  They say it is only 45 minutes, but you do get 1 hour with them.  Returned to the hotel for dinner and a good night sleep.  Got the dinner, not the sleep, though.

Friday:  This was my day for the private visit.    Got lots of pictures of the monkeys in the courtyard.  Peter picked me up early and we went through the Nairobi National Park. After that we had lunch and then I went to the Trust.  I had the most amazing time,  Naipoki decided I was too clean and covered me with mud.  I was a little nervous about Rombo as he isn't to comfortable with people other than his keepers.  But everything worked out fine. 

On Saturday I finally met up with Stanley.  We had lunch at the restaurant of the Karen Blixen place.  Lunch was incredible and we had a nice chat.  After that, he brought me to an outdoor market in Nairobi.  Good thing he was there.  There were so many people and they were quite aggressive trying to sell me things.  Stanley did all my bargaining for me.  It was a lovely afternoon.

Sunday was my day for my last visit.  I swam in the pool and then sunbathed a bit.  It was quite hot.  Met a lovely young lady that works for the Born Free foundation and she showed me pictures of the project she was working on.  It was a very nice  afternoon.  Peter then came and brought me for my foster visit.  It was incredible.  I met Dame Daphne and had my picture taken with her.  She is such a gracious lady.   After that, I went back to the hotel.  My only regret is that I missed the other group by a day or two.  It was a little lonely at times.  Met some nice people, though.  There was a lovely young couple from New York.  But nobody stayed more than overnight except for Shelley (Born Free). 

Monday I did absolutely nothing but lounge on the terrace and read.  Spoke with Caroline (her and her husband own the hotel).  A very nice lady, and her husband is really nice, too.  We had a thunder storm until early afternoon and it wasn't that hot.  Peter came and drove me to the airport. 

I didn't do a lot while I was there, but it was enough for my first trip.  Can't wait to be able to go back again.   Arrived in Amsterdam around 6 a.m. Tuesday morning.  Have to say, I was not impressed with the city.  Quite dirty, plus it was cold and rainy.  Probably not the best time to see it. 

All in all, I had a wonderful time.  Next time, there will be a group of us, hopefully, that go to Africa.  Also I can look forward to visiting Julie in Oz.  I think it is going to be a very busy few years coming up.  Have to start saving big time for all this travel.

Have a great weekend, my friends.

TTFN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday

Sunday

Monday